Did you know that January is National Dog Training Month? Well the people behind the Link Smart wearable pet devices are here to remind us all.
For anyone unfamiliar with Link, and their Link My Pet app, this is a brand of wearable pet devices that will not only act as a GPS for your dog, but it will also monitor their health and overall well-being. And you can find all of the information about their health in the app associated with these devices. In fact, we wrote about the brand and their pet devices in the past, because we are fans of what they have to offer and the fact that they help us monitor our pups overall health and well-being.
So knowing what the company offers for our pets, it makes sense that they would have tips and tricks for those of us looking to train our dogs during National Dog Training Month.
With the help of these basic dog training tips, you can start your dog on the road to good behavior. Not only that, but in many cases training your dog can help them with not being frustrated, distracted, or bored. A well trained dog is also a healthy dog.
The Link Smart Pet Wearable device experts have some basic dog training tips for us
So what tips do these experts have for us when it comes to dog training as we head into a new year? Here are five tips from the experts:
- Remember to be consistent. When you are training your dog consistency is key. This means making sure that you are always using the same commands, the same tone of voice, and even the same hand motions. If you are inconsistent in your training you will confuse your dog and therefore make it harder for them to do whatever it is you are asking.
- Make sure you are picking the right reward for your dog. While some dogs are motivated by food, others are not. You need to know your furry friend in order to figure out what their motivation is. And once you figure that out, you can figure out what will motivate them to behave.
- Have you ever heard of clicker training? This type of training can show a puppy exactly which behavior they are being rewarded for. Using a clicker or another sound can signal preys when your pup is doing some thing right. And, if you are using the Link Smart Pet Wearable Device then you are in luck because it has built in vibration training and tones to help with this type of training.
- It is best to keep your training sessions short because your dog may become distracted overtime. And a distracted dog can become a frustrated dog. And since you are doing shorter training sessions, you will want to repeat these sessions often. This falls in line with the idea of consistency as well. Because continued training sessions are all about consistency.
- And perhaps the most important tip of all is to use positive reinforcement. Most vets agree that the most effective dog training method revolves around positive reinforcement training. Rather than punishing behavior that we consider to be bad, you want to reward their good behavior. This is because rewarding good behavior leads to more good behavior.
In many cases, these dog training tips may seem obvious. However, if you have never had a dog before then these may not be obvious. Or maybe it’s been a long time since you’ve had to train a dog, and these are great guideline to get you started when you bring a new pup or dog into your home.
Do these tips help you at all? Will you be doing your own dog training as you head into the new year? What other tips would you like to see? We want to know.