Sometimes you just want to get in your car and go on an adventure. But when you have a dog, your road trip might just include them. And when it comes to taking your pup on a trip in the car, it is definitely important to know exactly where the best places to take them actually are.
Luckily for us, we have Best Places to help us decide. In collaboration with Motel 6, Best Places has put together a list of the 10 best places to go on a road trip with your dog to.
They looked at everything from where you and your dog can enjoy some time together to where your pup is welcome (think hotels, restaurants). Other things to consider included questions such as where can you walk your dog, are there hiking trails, how close are you to veterinarian offices and pet stores, and even took into account the climate of the area.
So where are the top 10 dog-friendly destinations to take your pup on a road trip? I’m so glad you asked!
10 of best places for you and your dog to go on a road trip together
- Santa Monica, California – This is a destination that gives us places to walk and even a beach or two. Sounds like a vacation to us.
- Rockville, Maryland – Can you ever go wrong with a road trip to Maryland? We think not. And with all their greenspace and proximity to things to do, this is a great place to stop and explore.
- Santa Fe, New Mexico – Santa Fe is a stunningly beautiful place to visit. And we love that this is a city that is rather pet-friendly in terms of what they have to offer.
- Mount Pleasant, South Carolina – We have never been here, but have heard good things. And if we can bring our pups to visit, we are all in for a dog-friendly road trip.
- Newport, Rhode Island – Newport is a beautiful place to visit, especially in the summer. And the fact that there are plenty of dog parks for our furry friend to stretch their legs makes us even more excited to head out and explore.
- Gloucester, Massachusetts – As someone from Massachusetts, I can confirm that Gloucester is a beautiful road trip destination. Add in the company of your dog and you can’t beat this coastal town in New England.
- Richmond, Kentucky – Bring on the adventure. We have never been here, but they offer everything our pup needs and that means we need to explore.
- Bend, Oregon – Bend is known for their outdoor culture and that includes one that is friendly to our dogs. So why wouldn’t we want to take a road trip to a place where we can hike, kayak, and maybe even mountain bike with our dog.
- Asheville, North Carolina – Here is another beautiful destination that we love. Even with only one visit here under our belts, we know that this is a must for people who want a destination that is hip and dog-friendly, while also offering a bit of a cosmopolitan feel. It was a fun place to explore and we definitely recommend this one.
- Charlottesville, Virginia – It’s a place that everyone should see once. And that includes our dogs. We love that this made the list and is dog-friendly.
There are so many places where our dogs are welcome, but with these 10 destinations we can get an epic adventure too. Bring on the road trip music and the wind in our hair.